people interested in Merrow's past.
Some interesting information can be found by clicking on these links below.
Click here for a trip down Memory Lane.
The Old Forge.
1701 to 1870 Guildford Races, flat and jump racing, were held annually
in Whitsun week
on Merrow Downs. The first official race was held in 1727. MORE
Kathleen Barnes Click
Tunnell (1904-1988) Click
Swayne Family Occupancy of Hall Place Farm Click
Swayne Family in Merrow Click
camp was originally built in 1941-42 to house Italians from the North
Africa campaign and
only later in the war did it house German POWs. It consisted of a
series of huts terraced
into the slope of the Downs west of the Golf Club, on four corners
of the camp were outlook
towers. Even today traces of the camp can still be seen including
the main entrance road
to the camp and a levelled area that was used for football matches.
MERROW PRISONER OF WAR CAMP