Click here to Join us!
Membership: Single = £3 per year, Household = £5 per year
Welcome to Merrow Residents' Association web pages.
The Merrow Residents Association
has been in existence for 40 years and continues to provide a
focus for Merrow on environmental, planning, historical and local
issues and has a membership of about 600 people. It is served
by a voluntary committee that acts in an apolitical manner to
ensure that Merrow retains its present unspoilt and attractive
If you wish to know more about us and what we do please
contact the email@example.com.
Please see Minutes of AGM in April 2015
If you are not already a member of MRA please click on "join us" to see how you can pay your subscription. Once you are a member, please contact the firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and address if you wish to be
added to our email list.
Improve Merrow Through Your Local "Cluster Funding"
Meeting on Thursday 12 November 2015, from 7pm-9pm at Guildford BC Council Offices, Millmead.
Chairman’s Notes- October 2015
· Merrow Life included a progress report on the development of the Local Plan. I would like to reiterate on behalf of the Executive Committee how pleased we were that so many people attended our AGM in the St John’s Centre in March this year. It was a magnificent turnout and I hope to see many of you again at our Autumn Event on 26th October for a talk on “Clandon House and the Onslows”.
· We continue to work closely with our helpful and supportive Ward Councillors who were elected in May - Jenny Jordan, Graham Ellwood and Philip Brooker. Graham is now Lead Councillor for Community Safety and Licensing and is therefore a member of the Executive and is also on the Planning Committee. Philip is a substitute on the Planning Committee.
· The tubs in front of the Horse and Groom have now been planted and look fantastic in the Autumn sunshine. Our thanks to the Clandon Park Garden Centre for providing the plants and to Kate Dumbleton for organising the planting and arranging for them to be watered.
· We have kept in close touch with residents in Burpham on the new Aldi Store. We have also commented upon the Burpham Neighbourhood Plan and share the concern of the Burpham Community Association on the proposed Clay Lane Link Road, which will have the effect of increasing traffic in Burpham to a very significant degree. GBC have now announced a consultation on the Link Road to be held during October and November (see guildford.gov.uk/Clay-Lane-Link)
· You may have noticed that our vehicle activated sign in Trodds Lane is having a rest this summer but it will be reactivated in the autumn.
· Surrey County Council are proposing to replace free concessionary travel for the use of the Merrow Park and Ride with a £1 concessionary day return fare - this would cover senior citizens. There would be no restriction on the time of day when the concessionary fare could be used. The committee took the view that this proposal is not unreasonable in the present financial climate and so did not object. Feedback from the consultation was discussed at the Guildford Local Committee meeting on 30 September and the proposed changes were agreed, but there will be no charge for disabled person’s pass holders. The changes will come into effect on the 2nd November.
· Some members may have noticed that the Beech Wood at the Clandon crossroads has been sold by the Clandon Estate by auction. The new owners are thinning out some of the unwanted trees in a thoroughly professional manner.
· Any members who wish to go on our email distribution list please contact email@example.com
· Residents in Boxgrove Gardens are forming their own Residents’ Association and are showing interest in becoming involved with our Association. We will discuss this in committee and let you know at the AGM in 2016 how this initiative progresses.